Aloe Vera Gel - Is it Effective Against Osteoarthritis?
May I know if aloe vera gel is effective against osteoarthritis?
If it is so, why? I'm wary of taking pain killers because I have a friend who developed stomach ulcers after taking over-the-counter pain killers. --
Yes, it is effective.
You have a point there. The long term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as naproxen and ibuprofen can cause stomach ulcers and bleeding.
And they also increase your risk of having a heart attack or a stroke.
An acquaintance of mine who underwent a kidney transplant had mentioned that after checking his medical record, his nephrologist pointed to his anti-arthritis drugs as one of the major contributing factors that damaged his kidneys.
Osteoarthritis is characterized by the disappearance of the cartilage, which acts as natural shock absorber between joints.
This type of arthritis is often related to aging.
These factors also lead to osteoarthritis:
- Hereditary, meaning it runs in families
- Obesity - the extra body weight is a big strain on your joints
- Joint injuries
So, in answer to your question, here's why aloe vera gel
is effective in fighting off osteoarthritis.
- Anthraquinone complex - studies showed that anthraquinones are responsible for the antiarthritic, anti-inflammatory and healing properties of aloe vera gel
- Sterols - these are plant-based natural steroids
- Vitamin C - which promotes healing and is an antioxidant
- Vitamin E - which is also an antioxidant
By the way, you might like to try this instead.
Forever Living Products has formulated an oranged-flavored aloe drink for people with arthritis in mind, known as Forever Freedom
In addition to 89% aloe vera gel, they added the following:
- Glucosamine Sulfate - helps form cartilage in your joints which act as shock absorbers
- Methylsulfunylmethane - protects and supports healthy connective tissues like ligaments, muscles and tendons
- Chondroitin - responsible for synovial fluid formation which lubricates the joints
Here's what Dr. Ludgerio Torres, the renowned cardiovascular surgeon and currently the director of the Philippine Heart Center, recommends:
Drink 50 ml Forever Freedom
once a day for a minimum of 6 months
You might also like to use Forever Aloe Heat lotion topically on the painful area.
And there it is, Forever Freedom
might be the wise choice since it is specifically formulated for people with arthritis.
Hope this helps,
Here's some interesting article on preventing and reversing arthritis